Going Extra Mile For Stranger



During my airport days, I used to have this colleague who will not hesitate to extend help to strangers in distress.  As far as I can remember, she is always overlooked by the management when it came to promotion or perk of sorts.  Perhaps, she was not the complaining sort and therefore, taken for granted by the management then. When I joined the company in the mid 80s, she had already spent more than a decade with the company but still stuck in the same position.  She is one who will not complain about too much work or went around gossiping.  Most of all, she will not pull rank to the junior just because she was more senior, rather the other way around is more true.  Quite frankly, I have never once witnessed her losing her cool while handling difficult passengers.

Once there was this elderly lady passenger who missed the flight, had to stay in Singapore for few days and had no money on her.  My colleague could not bear to see her stranded high and dry in a foreign land, actually brought her home.  She even provided food for her during her stay with her.  In fact, this was not her first time helping out strangers in distress but happened few times after I have left the company.  If I can really recall, I don't think her effort was even recognised by the company then.  Only in recent years, Changi Airport started to run this publicity campaign to award airport service staff for displaying excellent service to passengers.  If I can nominate, my colleague should deserve one too.  My colleague has since left the company and now residing in the US with her family.  'Mom", if you you are reading my blog, I want to recognise you for going the extra mile for people whom you don't even know.  You are one of the few people I know who do not clamour for recognition but prefer to remain anonymous.  It has been great having you as my colleague once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sinking Vessel

Gunung Belumut Climb

Hike Up Gunung Pulai and Kangkar Pulai Fruit Farm Tour