One Fight I Will Never Forget


The neighbourhood in the 70s I used to grow up with was notorius where gang fights were the norm during those days.  We shared the common corridor with each household facing one and another.  The corridor was always noisy with kids like us running up and down.  The block has since been demolished in the early 80s.

I was 12 or 13, I think and I was hanging around at the playground and minding my own business when a boy, around my age and built approached me.  Without provocation, he started to challenge me to a fight.  I ignored him but he persisted to taunt me.  It got me mad and we started to fight.  Crowd gathered immediately but nobody broke out our fight.  I quickly got him on the ground, folded up his hands and sat on top of him.  He couldn't move and meekly surrendered the fight.  I then told him to leave me alone and walked home.  I did not dare tell my mother I had a fight or I could have 'eaten the cane'.  Her caning was terrifying and that probably toughened my skin, I think.

What happened next?  We became friends later and not buddies though.  This is part of our growing up in the 70s & 80s.  This was probably the only physical fight I had with someone.  There were few close encounters though.  Despite the rough childhood, I kind of relished the good old days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sinking Vessel

Gunung Belumut Climb

Hike Up Gunung Pulai and Kangkar Pulai Fruit Farm Tour