Blood Donation

Today (Sunday) I planned to have it easy with my weekend routine, mopping & cleaning the house and ironing my laundry. While I was reading my Sunday Times, Hwee smsed saying blood bank is running low on blood supply due to World Cup fever and asked whether I wanted to donate my blood. I thought she said to donate on coming Wednesday but no, she was actually on the train to do her once-and-only weekend work-out at Novena and she changed her mind to donate blood instead.

I agreed to join her and arranged to pick her up at Novena Square. We arrived at Blood Bank in Outram around 1030 hrs and there were already many people waiting to donate their blood. We did our registration, given the forms to fill up and waited to be called up by doctor. The registration staff said my last donation was way back in 1999 and the record still showed my old place at Hougang. She updated my record and gave a donor card for future visit.

Gosh, it was that long that I last pledged my precious blood. I vividly remember sometime in 2001 or 2002, I was giving my blood platelete then responding to one sms request from a mother whose child was in urgent need for type B blood platelete. When I reached the ward, I was informed by the nurse that the child has passed away for quite some time but the mother simply could not get over the fact, continued to send out smses. Anyway, I decided to do the platelete donation and I did it on few occasions.

Though there were many people at the blood bank, being a typical Sunday but we did not have to wait very long for our turn. I went in first, directed to an empty seat by a nurse and Hwee followed less than 5 minutes later. We were directly opposite each other. A nurse came over to me, asked which side I wanted to draw out my blood and I pointed my right arm. While wrapping my right arm, she said I have big muscles (of course lah, all the gym workouts should count something, right?) but I sheepishly replied, "No lah, just fats." Hwee took a quick smile and then, she said, "Let's see who'll finish first." to which I replied, "Want bet?". Our bet was for lunch only.

I didn't even have time to really settle down and the signal flashed indicating I am done. The timer showed 4 mins 22 seconds. Hwee was still not done yet as she started a little later than me. Moments later, her signal flashed and her time was 4 mins 29 seconds. She lost by 7 seconds, what a close call. None of us talked about the lunch bet and happily we strolled to the cafeteria for light refreshment. The last time, I remember I was given a cup of milo and some biscuits but this time, we were spoilt for choice. We can have egg tart, bread or pau and green bean soup to go with our cuppa.

After our blood donation, I dropped her home first before heading back to do my household chores.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sinking Vessel

Gunung Belumut Climb

Hike Up Gunung Pulai and Kangkar Pulai Fruit Farm Tour